A reflection piece by Stella Ivory who was part of SWY28
Why should you apply for Ship for World Youth?
- You get to go to Japan and learn so much about an incredible culture and about an incredible way of seeing the world.
- You get to make friends from almost every continent on earth.
- You will understand why being a New Zealander is so unique and awesome, but equally, that we can all learn things from other cultures.
- You will learn that dancing and music and smiling and food are things that all of humanity can, and do, share.
- You will see that people’s differences are actually minute in comparison to our similarities.
- You will find that despite all of the miscommunications and language barriers, there is still always a way to understand and bond with any person.
- You will marvel in the beauty of the land, the ocean, the sky, and the sun and the stars, and your life between them will take on a new meaning.
- You will be reminded that all around the earth, there are people who care as much as you do, and are working to make the world a better place.
- You will learn that love is a palpable feeling, and that communities based primarily around appreciating the earth and each other, are possible.
- You will learn to enjoy Asahi.
- You will find new parts of the Nippon Maru (the ship) for the entire month that you live on it, and even then you will have never explored every part of it.
- You will realise that anything is possible if you believe it is.
- You will never take WiFi or a good coffee for granted again.
- You will learn how to function on less sleep than you ever thought was possible.
- You will learn to choose your battles, and to focus on the good rather than the bad.
- You will realise that there is hope, and that we have the capacity in all of us to shape an ideal world, and the world that we want to be a part of.
- You will learn how to cope being around people. All the time. With no way to be alone.
- You will appreciate how lucky you are to live in New Zealand.
- You will learn how to follow rules, and be on time in a way that you’ve never needed to before.
- You will challenge your identity, and your sense of self, and what you prioritise in your life.